‘I am fascinated by the things that are not graspable but that surround and inhabit us. They are like colours in between – not visible to our eyes but sensible. I seek to embody and express them through performance so they become an experience for the audience.’
CV data sheet here
I am a dance artist, choreographer, filmmaker and researcher. My artistic work ranges from dance and digital performances to screendance filmmaking and audio-visual installations and is influenced by my own synaesthetic experiences and my studies in somatic practices. I work cross-disciplinary with an emphasis on collaborative creation processes. My projects aim to stimulate kinaesthetic empathy and sensory experience.
The relationship between synaesthesia, embodiment and dance is my area of research. As a synaesthete and dancer, I aim to promote synaesthesia as an example of diversity of perception in society and to contribute to an integral understanding of synaesthesia.
Presentations of the research include:
• Article ‘Colours on the surface of my body in motion: The relationship between synaesthesia and dance improvisation’ in the issue 11.1. of the ‘Journal of Dance and Somatic Practice’ (Intellect Publishers)
• Symposium ’Queering the Somatic: Interrupting the Narrative’ – Middlesex University London/UK, 2019
• Symposium ’Narrating the Somatic: Gathering voices, sharing practices’ – Middlesex University London/UK, 2018
• Symposium AVBODY – the audiovisual body – University of Huddersfield/UK, 2018
• Symposium ’Bodily Undoing: Somatic Activism and Performance Cultures as Practices of Critique’ – Bath Spa University/UK, 2017
My Sound & Colour Production serves a roof for artistic work, research and workshops on synaesthesia, dance and embodiment. I was delighted to research and develop the recent artistic project, with following support:
• Goethe Institute & Dance Limerick -Percolate Residency (IRL, July/August 2018)
• DanceSeedCreate Bursary from Bath Dance – R&D residency at Bath Spa University (UK, June 2018)
Both residencies featured workshops, discussions and work-in-progress showings.
Filmmaking became an important tool in my art-making over the last three years. The abstract images of the world, which I can create through the lens, resemble synaesthetic experiences. They serve as source of inspiration and base for film work as well as live performances.
My screendance films and audio-visual installations were included in several festivals, exhibitions and magazines:
• spectra screendance film – Jury Award NEWCOMERAS 1st INTERNATIONAL SCREENDANCE FESTIVAL 2019 / ADF’s Movies by Movers (USA) / Seyr Festival Teheran (IRA) (2019) / Award ‘Official Selection WomenCineMakers Biennal Edition’ featuring an interview on my artistic practice (2018), and many more.
• At the Vanishing Point audio-visual installation – exhibition Videoskin – The Edge Gallery Whitehorse (Yukon/CAN, 2018) & symposium ’AVBODY: Symposium on the Audiovisual Body’ (University of Huddersfield/UK, 2018)
In 2017, I received a scholarship from Goethe Institute Ireland to present spectra at Lightmoves Festival for Screendance (IRL).
I was invited to the Porthleven Prize residency (2017) in Cornwall, including workshops, lectures and creations in different artistic media such as audio production, fine art, photography and performance.
I hold a Master of Arts in Dance with highest distinction from Bath Spa University (2017). My MA Dance theses performance Lucidity at Bath Spa University was awarded with outstanding distinction.
Since 2018, I work as an associate lecturer at Bath Spa University on the MA and BA in Dance programme.
With my passion for collaborative creation processes I co-founded three collectives:
• Collective B (screendance filmmaking, since 2018)
• beatsecutse (music video productions, since 2015)
• The Psychonautic Vibrogroove (synaesthetic performances/blending of live band, dance and visual art, 2010-2013)
My work as a freelance dance artist, choreographer and filmmaker has been presented internationally since since 2007. Apart from the mentioned locations above, my own productions have been shown at
• Kaltstart Festival Hamburg (GER)
• SinemaDans Film Festival Ankara (TUR)
• Dwellington Project Sydney (AUS)
• Dock 11 Berlin (GER)
• POOL-International Dance Film Festival Berlin (GER)
• E-Werk Freiburg (GER)
• Grüner Salon/Volksbühne (GER)
• Townhall Berlin (GER)
• Savvy Contemporary Gallery Berlin (GER), and many others
As choreographer, I received commissions from and worked with
• National Museum Seoul/Young In Hong (UK/KOR)
• Oetinger Publishing Group (GER)
• Theater Bonn (GER)
• Theater T-WERK (GER)
• Laura Heinecke & Company (GER)
• Miranda Markgraf (GER), among others
As a performer, I worked with The Nature Theatre of Oklahoma (NY), Lisa May Thomas (UK), Willi Dorner (AUT), Anna Heighway (UK), Minako Seki (JPN/ GER), Company Blu (ITA), Elias Cohen (CHL), Theatre Pro (GER), and many more.
Previous studies include: Somatic Practitioner Training (Somatic Academy Berlin, 2016-2017), ThaiYoga Massage Practitioner (Sunshine House Greece, 2014), Physical Theater Dance & Butoh (KIM Berlin / Elias Cohen, Minako Seki, 2010), New Dance / Improvisation / Performance (TIP- Freiburg / Lilo Stahl, Bernd Ka, 2005-2007) and Musical Theater (Musicalstudio Neukölln, Janina Szarek, Berlin 2001-2002).
My approach to body and movement is further influenced by intensive studies in Qi Gong, body weather training, yoga, music and vocal art.